ENTERING THE OMNICHANNEL ERA. GLOBAL CROSS CHANNEL RETAIL (rapport)
Retailers around the world, in mature and emerging markets, are enhancing their retail strategy and integrated digital operations in pursuit of cross channel retailing.
Entering the Omnichannel Era
Ebeltoft Group´s 2014 Global Cross Channel Retailing Report studies leading retailers’ customer facing cross channel capabilities; analyzing its development, state of maturity and Omnichannel Champions at global, category and country level.Some of the 146 retailers included in the study are Best Buy, De Bijenkorf, Courts, Conrad, Nordstrom, Marks & Spencer and Mango.
The report found among other things that:
- Click and Collect, the corner stone for cross channel retailing, is evolving; 64% of the retailers audited have this capability in place (53% in `12)
- Social-Local-Mobile (SoLoMo) cross channel capabilities; show the highest level of development (59%)
- Connected store capabilities improved (+15% compared to ´12) yet remains a challenge with a moderate level of development (37%)
- 80% of retailers agreed that “Cross channel is one of their main priorities”
- US and UK retailers lead the way; showing the highest level of cross channel development.
The study uses Ebeltoft Group’s Cross Channel Benchmark Framework, organized into five core areas and 29 cross channel capabilities integrated into the retailers’ operations. The table below summarizes the global scoring, by retail sector, based on the framework.
In parallel to the Global report, 4 Retail Category Reports measure specifc cross channel capability deveopment at category level. The reports indicate recent developments and category omnichannel champions and show what specific cross channel capabilities make the difference in each category. Categories covers are: DIY, General Merchadise, Speciality Fashion and Electrical.
Countries included in the study are Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and US.